Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Is There a God?

I was 12 years old and I was sitting on a bench in Meeting for Worship and I was wondering: "Is there a God?"  This seemed like an important question to which it was not clear how one could get an answer to this question.  As I sat there I looked at a purple Iris outside the window with a huge dew drop on the petal.  The sun was hitting it refracting a rainbow within the dew drop.  I rejoiced in the beauty and majesty of all this!

I reflected upon what we had just been studying in biology: about how flowers reproduce, about how light is refracted, about how water evaporates and goes up in the air and is held in clouds and then is released in rain, and the whole rather perfect cycle of nature there, and in reproduction of plants, and of birth and death and rebirth of plants and animals, etc.  "It is all perfect", I thought.  And suddenly I knew; I knew there is a God.  Because I realized nothing could accidentally or randomly occur that was this perfect.  I saw there was an intelligence in the universe.  I felt an energy that could be turned to for guidance and wisdom.

As I got older I would contend with questions like: Why does God allow suffering? What does God want me to do and how do I know?  How do I pray?  And what is the correct name of God?  But for then, for 12, it was just good to know there is a God.

When I was much older I had a long argument with a friend who identifies himself as an Atheist.  I told him that while I could understand someone being Agnostic, not knowing if there is a God that I did not know how he could claim to know conclusively that there is not a God when others say they have experienced God directly.  He made various arguments and asked me several times to what my experience of God was.  I described it and he said he had not had that experience. I acknowledged that but said I still did not think he could dismiss others experience. 

He did acknowledge that there is a principle of intelligence within the Universe, but then said crossly that he did not understand why I was calling that God.  I said that I did not understand why he would refuse to call it God.  He talked over and over again about the evils of the church throughout history.  I acknowledged that the organized churches have done many evil things and that that is the doing of humans while hiding behind the cloak of the church.  I said that you could not throw God out with the churches.  He eventually said that if I was calling the Mind of the Universe God that he agreed that it existed, but found it unnecessary to call it God.

We were young then.  I have not asked him where he turns for comfort when the world looks dark?  Or where he finds strengthen when he has to do the hard things? Or what helps him to find connection to all people around him even the crappy ones?  But these are reasons why I have discovered there is a God not just a Mind of the Universe.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your thoughtful posts here. It seems to me as if you and your friend were agreeing in concept, but disagreeing on language. It seems that you and your friend both believe in a higher power / enlightened intelligence / God / universal knowledge source / life force / mind of the universe. The word "God" has become confused over centuries with many concepts, churches, rituals, doctrines, etc. to the point that people are turned off by the term. For many it invokes bad memories of conversations about "our God" vs. "their God" or other such separations between people. Wars have been fought in the name of God. And so, spiritual people sometimes seek God by another name. To me, "mind of the universe" means the same thing, but doesn't carry the historical baggage of the word "God."

    I imagine that you and your atheist friend agree on much more than you think.

    P.S. I was moved by the post about the aging population of Quakers. I am 26 and am letting my light shine and inviting my peers to join Friendly Silent Meeting for Worship with me if they feel so moved. Several have taken me up on this in Raleigh, NC :)

    ReplyDelete